[Year 12 SofDev] Outcome 1

David Dawson dgdawson at mgs.vic.edu.au
Tue Mar 6 10:36:11 EST 2007

I am just wondering how others are interpreting the requirements for
Outcome 1.
The *high* descriptor (see below) seems to imply a use of DFDs for
analysis - yet these have traditionally always been used for process and
data analysis. I am not sure if there is an intention that this be used
in network description (possible but confusing) or whether it is just
one element to be incorporated into O1 in analysis the Info System.
Questions:
1. Other than a broad statement/diagram of topology is there an
additional requirement for network logical design, such as use of a
specific "tool".
2. Should we have a specific analysis of security elements in the
outcome as part of the logical design?
3. Since "feasible" is mentioned should there be a feasibility analysis?
4. Apart from network diag, DFD and Data Dictionary are there other
expected "tools"?
5. Has anyone yet developed a trial with these features?

Here is the descriptor for a High mark on outcome 1 :
"Coherent and comprehensive explanation of reasons for changing the
existing networked information system. All data-collection methods to
assist with the analysis are relevant. Detailed, complete and accurate
documentation of the logical design of the existing information system
indicates a thorough interpretation of its context and all of its
processes and data flows. All processes, procedures or equipment that
must be changed in order to fulfil the information system goal or
objective are feasible and clearly articulated. A set of varied and
appropriate tools are selected and all techniques are accurately applied
to comprehensively document and describe all the physical specifications
for the new or modified system. All descriptions are detailed and clear,
and technically correct terminology is used."

David Dawson