[Reporting] Fwd: VELS and semester reporting - please advise

robert Timmer-Arrends tim at brightonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Jun 7 16:07:32 EST 2007

Hello all

A couple of issues in the last few emails:
First the easy one - progress points in markbook for split 7/8 classes.
the answer is that as an assessor you don't worry about what year level
the kids is in, just what standard (or part thereof) they have reached; eg
if a year 10 student and a year 8 student both produce the same kind of
work and it is of a comparable level of sophistication then they will both
be rated the same; for example, perhaps both are rated at 5.00. The
difference is that the reporting system will produce a C for the Year 8
student and an E for the year 10 student. Teachers do not have to worry
about the letter or the year levels, only the absolute standard of the
work they are assessing.

Second - what to do about single semester subjects: OLT have actually
addressed this on their website (sorry can't supply URL - it's there as a
single page word doc). In a nutshell it says that we should NOT be
adjusting anything to compensate; instead we are to assess the work
according to the standard and  plug in the appropriate numbers. We are
then required to explain to parents the discrepancy (the tone of the
document also suggests - to me at least - that we are educationally
irresponsible in trying to condense what should be a whole year's learning
into one semester, and that it is therefore our problem to fix!). The
kindest thought I have about this is that the people in OLT have forgotten
how real secondary schools work - their whole approach to making VELS and
reporting work for secondaries seems to support this view.

Regards
Robert T-A
Brighton SC

Mr.Timmer-Arends