[Reporting] Fwd: VELS and semester reporting - please advise

Lesley Humphries humples at santamaria.vic.edu.au
Thu Jun 7 10:54:52 EST 2007

Hi Kevork,

Re Progression Points & semester subjects

When we thought we had to do ICT progression points (we have recently found out that Catholic schools don't until next year - phew...) we had set up our marking schemes so that the percentage mark that led to to progression point in Sem 1 had to be different for Sem 2 to make them the same. Because you're right - you are teaching the same stuff, so why should a kid doing it in Semester 2 get a lower progression point than a kid who did exactly the same work in Semester 1? Just because they're possibly six months older?

It's really nonsensical, but it was the only way we could make it work for us. We just keep hoping all this silly A-E reporting stuff will soon disappear...

> Hi Folks,
>
> I hate to do this, but I haven't heard from the reporting list so I am
> cross posting this for your advice please.

> Hi Folks,
>
> Consider this dilemma ,
>
> Students do a compulsory elective of ICT in 1 semester of Year 9 ( or
> Yr 10 for that matter ). All students will do this elective, either in
> Sem 1 or Sem 2. It is the same work for both semesters. Student X does
> Sem 1, student Y does Sem 2. They are twins.
>
> Both attain a progression point of 5.5 . However, student X gets a
> grade of B and student Y gets a grade of C for the same work. So , how
> do we explain this to parents ? They are both achieving the same , yet
> score different grades by the randomness of elective selection and
> different stages ( or ages ) of assessment .
>
> How do we reconcile this ?
>
> Look forward to your replies
>

> Kevork Krozian
> IT Manager , Forest Hill College