[Philosophy] RE: New texts

Richard O'Donovan rodonovan at fhs.vic.edu.au
Wed Jul 18 23:11:48 EST 2007

Thanks for the heads-up Monica.

For the benefit of others here's the update from the latest bulletin;

Currently prescribed edition for 2008

Edition currently in print

Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, Book I, chapters 1.5 and 7.9 and Book II, trans. Ross, D et al., Oxford World's Classics, Oxford University Press, 1980.

Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, Book I, chapters 1.5 and 7.9 and Book II, trans. Ross, D et al., Oxford World's Classics, Oxford University Press, 1998. Note that this translation is identical to the 1980 edition.

Murdoch, I, The Sovereignty of Good Over Other Concepts in The Sovereignty of Good, Routledge and Kegan Paul, London, 1970, p. 78 line 4 to p. 93 line 27.

Murdoch, I, The Sovereignty of Good Over Other Concepts in The Sovereignty of Good, Routledge Classics, Routledge and Kegan Paul, London, 2007, p. 76 line 8 to p. 91 line 14. Note that page and line numbers have been adjusted to match the extract from the 1970 edition.

Kuhn, T, The Structure of ScientiÞ c Revolutions, 2nd Edition, University of Chicago Press, 1970, chapter 7, pp. 66.69, 74 (last paragraph), 75.76, and chapter 13.

Kuhn, T, The Structure of ScientiÞ c Revolutions, 3rd Edition, University of Chicago Press, 1996, chapter 7, pp. 66.69, 74 (last paragraph),75.76, and chapter 13.

Also, just in case you've missed them, here is the list of texts for next year from the May bulletin;

Unit 3

Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, Book I, chapters 1-5 and 7-9 and Book II, trans. Ross, W D et al., Oxford World's Classics, Oxford University Press, 1980

Plato, Gorgias, 480e-509c, trans. Waterfi eld, R, Oxford World's Classics, Oxford University Press, 1998

Murdoch, I, 'The Sovereignty of Good Over Other Concepts' in The Sovereignty of Good, Routledge and Kegan Paul, London, 1970, p. 78 line 4 to p. 93 line 27

Nietzsche, F, 'On the Natural History of Morals' sections 186-188, 190-192, 198-203 in Beyond Good and Evil, trans. Hollingdale, R J, Penguin, 2003

Unit 4

Descartes, R, ?Second Meditation', in Meditations on First Philosophy, trans. Cottingham, J, revised edn, Cambridge University Press, 1996

Armstrong, D, ?The Nature of Mind', in The Nature of Mind and Other Essays, University of Queensland Press, 1980

Kuhn, T, The Structure of Scientifi c Revolutions, 2nd edn, University of Chicago Press, 1970, chapter 7, pp. 66-69, 74 (last paragraph), 75-76, and chapter 13

Plato, Republic, 475d-487a, 506d-521b, trans. Waterfi eld, R, Oxford World's Classics, Oxford University Press, 1998

Popper, K, 'Science: Conjectures and Refutations' in Conjectures and Refutations, Routledge Classics, Routledge, 2002, pp. 43-51

Cheers,

Richard