[Philosophy] Two questions

lr at willihigh.vic.edu.au lr at willihigh.vic.edu.au
Fri May 26 16:11:03 EST 2006

Sorry, Richard,
Must disagree with the "Mickey Mouse" comment.  My students have just completed a four-part project (including an oral presentation) on a tradition or religion of their choice, comparing it to one ancient and one modern author from Unit 3. They need to be able to do this for SAC 3; and some questions in Section B of the exam allow for critiques of the authors on the course by referring to another religion or tradition for substantiation.  I did Buddhism with the whole class (powerpoint presentation and visit after school - non-compulsory - to a buddhist temple), then they all explored their own.  According to the study design, it doesn't have to be an ancient tradition.  I've had everything from Druids to Satanists to ISKON to Mormons.  I've done this for the past 3 years and all classes report it is the best thing in the Unit 3 course as it allows them to consolidate their knowledge of the authors by doing a practical comparison with the scope to explore their own interests,
  beliefs, values and morals - actually DO some philosophy - surely that's a "good" thing? (Pardon the pun).
Ian, if you would like a copy of the project, let me know and I'll email it to you.
BTW, for those who know me, I will be taking leave for Terms 3 and 4 and all of next year to teach in Japan.  Thanks for all your advice over the last few years.  I will miss teaching philosophy, but I need a new challenge.  Getting married, too.  (That's 2 new challenges!)
Best of luck with Unit 4,
Lyn. Renwood