[Philosophy] and so it starts again...

Murphy, Clare I murphy.clare.i at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Feb 23 15:40:18 EST 2006

Okay,
I have two 12 groups and one 11. The MS group is full at 25 and mid year a new class picks up the elective. This is helpful to the health of Philosophy, and I am mostly in focus with the younger thinkers, they are taking up most time!. I have

*
	set up a community of inquiry in space. Full circle approach. Listening with care etc.
*
	first few weeks using the Consolations of Philosophy for the elevator music and introductory aspect to get the kids talking about what matters to them. What other media material could I use as the intro?
*
	Introducted idea of Big Ideas, Big Questions: hope to adapt some of Clinton Golding's work.
*
	Generally aiming to establish prior knowledge of philosophical concepts: ie fairness and justice
*
	Stidents have made happiness posters, engaged in whole class discussion, small group discussion, gone home with the question: Why do you live the life you live? to a connected adult, established their writing philosophy journals and they have responded to different types of questions: to a varying degree of success. They generally have a good approach to Philosophy and look forward to the classes.

To meet the VELS requirements I am prioritising thinking skills, and I have designed assessment to include an essay, a small group inquiry/presentation, philosophy writing and a debate. The oral component of language development is prioritised. Now I just need to make sure the Big concepts are relevant.

*	Happiness
*	Self Confidence
*	Anger
*	etc

 What concepts are you exploring with your group?

Clare