[Opensource] Prey - background monitoring of portable theft

Colin SUTTON oz.sutton at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 03:31:16 EST 2011

Hi all

Found this mini-review on Windows Secrets (free weekly lite version or a
"pay what you feel like" full version - http://windowssecrets.com)

This is from a special security themed issue:

*Prey *(http://preyproject.com/)  (free for up to three computers.) So far,
I'm impressed with what I've seen. Running silently in the background, it
locks down any portable flagged as stolen by sounding an audible tone and
requiring a password for access.  It then e-mails the account owner the
portable's IP address (along with a map of the machine's current location),
a picture from the webcam (if it has one built in), and a screenshot of what
was last on its screen. You can also enable the guest account, which limits
access to the notebook's data but ensures you will get the alerts when
someone powers it up (provided it's able to connect to the Internet.)

It's open-source and

"It runs in Windows and *NIX systems as well (Mac, Linux). It is licensed
by the GPLv3 which means you can do just about anything with it, as long as
you respect the licence's terms.)" (https://github.com/tomas/prey)

There IS a pro version (monthly cost - various plans) which unlocks
more features.

I installed it a few weeks ago, as I'm travelling overseas and would
be a bit upset
if my netbook disappeared!
Nothing's exploded yet! But neither has my netbook disappeared!

Regards

COLIN SUTTON
(ICT Monty SC - on LSL pending retirement)