[Opensource] Moodle Server Specs

victor rajewski askvictor at gmail.com
Tue May 27 10:20:29 EST 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Pia Waugh <pia at waughpartners.com.au> wrote:
> Hi Jack,
>
> <quote who="Jack Matthews">
>
>> I do not have access to a server and it will remain that way for the near
>> future.
>
> You don't need a server. VMWare is a great (although not FOSS) virtual
> machine application in which you can run Linux virtually under Windows if
> you wish.
>
>> The only way around this issue is to use my USB laptop drive.  A linux
>> server would be nice but right now I literally have no harware to install
>> it on.  The existing XP computer is simply one of the class computers.  As
>> I understand VMware will cost money and I'm not sure running VMware off a
>> USB would do the trick.  I am not allowed to install anything on the
>> computers because they are used for TEFOL testing and the people here are
>> paranoid about it.
>
> VMWare client is free. There are good instructions for setting up a virtual
> Linux under Windows installation, however as I am on a really awesome
> internet connection now (and for the next week) I can't find it (browsing is
> _so_ slow for me!). Just have a look with Google. If someone else here has
> some good links, please post :)

you can even download pre-installed VMWare 'appliances' - that you can
run directly in vmware player at http://www.vmware.com/appliances/ .
So you could download the minimal ubuntu server appliance from
http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/1248 then install a LAMP
stack and moodle - and you'll still have change from a gigabyte

vik