[Opensource] Moodle Server Specs

Jim Maunder techo at ruyton.vic.edu.au
Tue May 27 09:34:43 EST 2008

Hello Jack -

Since no-one has answered your questions yet (other than offer
alternatives) I've tried to suss out some:

Q1: see here: http://lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=tools
     and here: http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1497
for a bit of a discussion about same. The brief answer is yes, the
limit is 10 complete connections. The first link has a tool that
might let you increase the limit (if the TEFOL ppl let you fiddle).

Q2: Hard to say - I suspect the throughput requirements of a web
based thingy would not be great, but the limiting factor in this case
would be the performance of the disk, not the USB port (unless it was
a USB1 port).

As an aside, I use a WinXP desktop as an FTP server for imaging - 1
connection goes like lightning (8 mins to do an image), 2 goes at
less that half throughput (20-30mins to do both), 6 crawls (2 hours
to do all 6), so performance is not linear. This might have something
to do with the large files being processed.

Q3: Since it's a web server it probably does not matter all that
much. 1gig might do. Our internet/intranet server has 2gig for
several hundred connections.

rgds
Jim
(top posting for a change)
(and who has SuSE9 and Win3.11 running in MS Virtual Machines, but
could not get *buntu to install because of the graphics problem even
after reading the workaround)

At 07:58 PM 26/05/2008, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>With a bit of tweaking an PHP editing I have finally got a Moodle
>server running perfectly on a portable USB laptop drive.  This means
>I can plug it in anywhere an it will start the server.  I can't have
>a physical server.....long story.
>
>Anyway, here are my questions
>
>I tested out the server with some students today on a Quiz and it
>did not cope that well.  I had 25 students in the class and the
>server was running on WIN XP.  I understand that WIN XP has a
>connection limit.
>
>1.  Will running the server off WIN XP restrict me to 10 connections
>regardless of what I try? (ie. only 10 people will be able to
>complete the quiz at a time)
>2.  Will running off a USB drive severely harm performance.  (Is is
>possible to 25 students to complete a quiz from a Server running
>from a USB laptop drive?)
>3.  How much RAM would be desirable for 25 students doing a quiz?
>
>Thanks
>-Jack Matthews

We have to use this Disclaimer

Views, opinions, etc. expressed reflect those of the author and not
Ruyton Girls' School

Jim Maunder
Laptop and PC Support Technician
Ruyton Girls School