[Opensource] Firefox Add-ons

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 15:20:33 EST 2008

We had a request to stop using IE for a couple of weeks / days until they
sort out some security patches and issues. Whilst it would be lovely if the
department web developers authored their pages with open standards and
designed them to operate on multiple browsers, it can seem at times that
this is as elusive as world peace and good-will between all men. It will
probably only change when a senior boffin questions why something cannot be
viewed on their pocket iPhone browser or new socks, not when the revolting
peasants storm the castle walls.

In the meantime, staff here have had fun using Firefox and building
functionality with the addons. Here is my list of a couple of new ones that
caught my eye. Enjoy :-)

*TimeTracker :: Firefox
Add-ons<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1887>
*Do you spend too much time on Firefox? Do you open tabs faster than you can
close them? Cannot get things done? Keep track of how much you browse with
TimeTracker.
 ColorfulTabs :: Firefox
Add-ons<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addons/policy/0/1368/35031>
ColorfulTabs gives each open tab a different color, making it easier to
distinguish between them. With this simple extension, you can color-code
tabs either randomly or according to URL. You can also set tabs to fade.
Morning Coffee :: Firefox
Add-ons<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2677>
Keeps track of daily routine websites and opens them in tabs.
Image Zoom :: Firefox
Add-ons<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/139>
Adds zoom functionality for images...I could go on with more but will close
with an an interesting article by a librarian making the changeover
*Swiss Army Librarian » Using Firefox On Our Public Computers :: Brian
Herzog<http://www.swissarmylibrarian.net/2008/05/08/using-firefox-on-our-public-computers>
*
My library is in the process of re-doing all of our public computers. One
major change we're making is to switch to Firefox for our web browser,
instead of the Internet Explorer/Public Web Browser combo we've always used.

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au