[Opensource]eeepc

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 14:52:43 EST 2008

Piece of cake to reimage an eeePC Peter .. took me less than 10 min. Easy
enough for even a student technician to do using either the recovery CDROM
provided or one of the downloadable images under development such as
eeeXubuntu. It is all good open stuff and the best thing is that we are free
to share our ideas, experiences and software images.
     http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ubuntu:eeexubuntu:home

That is an interesting thing about the open source user community that is
growing to support the eeePC will inevitably extend the lifetime of this
hardware for perhaps a decade. I only plan to hang onto them for two years
and rotate. We may have a giggle in 10 years time about somebody that got
XYZ running on one of these units. Here are some links worth reading.
     http://del.icio.us/rgesthuizen/eeepc

Don't discount the OLPC. This approaches collaborative computing from an
entirely different direction. We are doing both at our college. Plan is for
kids to take the cheaper OLPC laptops home rather like their music
instruments. The eeePC's go into a library book box.
     http://del.icio.us/rgesthuizen/olpc

Think not what you cannot do but what you are free to do. Who could have
predicted that putting cheap and nasty little cameras into mobile phones
would become so popular. Mark my words, this is a similar disruptive
technology that will turn things upside down. We live in exciting times.

Regards Roland