[Opensource] BBC Article - Schools warned off Microsoft

Pia Waugh greebo at pipka.org
Wed Oct 31 16:45:28 EST 2007

Hi Jim,

<quote who="Jim Maunder">

> StarOffice looks more attractive every day. I'm sure we could change over
> easily enough, but our kids would miss 'Publisher' and a few of us would
> miss 'Access'. (Any volunteers to convert my code and macro driven laptop
> database?)

If you haven't looked at OpenOffice 2.3 yet, you should. Now there is
Openoffice Database, which is very similar to Access, and I've been told it
opens some Access files, so worth checking out. You can always buy Publisher
stand alone, or try out Scribus, which is not as pretty, but still quite
powerful.

Macro driven database, unfortunately that will be annoying to fix. Perhaps
you could set a school project for the students to replicate the functions
you want in either OOo database, or even better, MySQL/PostgreSQL :)

Cheers,
Pia

--
Linux Australia                                         http://linux.org.au/

                      "What are we doing today brain?"
              "We're taking over the world like we always do."
                           - Pinky and the Brain