[Opensource] NZ Ministry of Justice: Want open source

Peter Ruwoldt ruwoldtp at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 10:00:34 EST 2007

Nice Roland.  This is the bit I was looking for

The Ministry has stated its commitment to be an 'employer of choice' for
> skilled technical professionals.
> Adopting OSS in development and deployment is consistent with such a
> commitment. (Put bluntly,
> technical professionals want to keep their skills sharp and current; in
> 2007, working with open source tools
> and contributing to OSS projects are the way that's done.)

Govt, IMO, needs to be looking at providing a fertile environment for these
high level IT skills to be developed and valued.  I feel that the govt
sector dependence on proprietary solutions has contributed significantly to
the downturn in IT skills that we are now bemoaning.

On 20/12/2007, Roland Gesthuizen <rgesthuizen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Cross post from the eChalk list.
>
>  http://nzoss.org.nz/system/files/moj_oss_strategy_1.0.pdf
>
> The New Zealand Ministry for Justice believes that open source software is
> a more stable, supportable, and cost-effective choice compared to
> proprietary solutions.
>
> This is a well considered opinion that might interest those that have had
> problems getting their school to adopt open source software. It would be
> good if other government departments had this well informed

> http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au

> change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." --Margaret
> Mead _______________________________________________
> Authority and

Free and Open education for all

Peter Ruwoldt
Grant High School
Hosking Avenue
MOUNT GAMBIER  SA  5290

P. 08 87263128
F. 08 87250173

ruwoldtp at granths.sa.edu.au
http://ruwoldtp.googlepages.com/

The devil doesn't need an advocate. The brave need supporters, not critics.
http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2007/01/creativity.html

Please think about the environment before printing emails