[Opensource] Giving a flick with my mouse

Adam Barbary home at adambarbary.com
Tue Apr 3 12:31:57 EST 2007

Beryl certainly does blitz the opposition in the eye-candy department.
It is interesting to note that Ubuntu Linux (Feisty) has compiz built in
now, and the wobbly windows work fine on a Centrino Laptop 1.3GHz, with
512MB Ram and 32MB(Shared) Intel Graphics. I doubt Vista with Aero would
run at all, let alone match this, but I'm not buying a copy to find out.

On the dual boot note, I have just started playing with Virtual Box
http://www.virtualbox.org/ running under Ubuntu, and have nothing but
praise for this virtualisation tool. The laptop in question has only
512MB of RAM of which half is allocated to the host and the other to the
guest operating system. The system runs incredibly well, and there are
some great features to allow seamless mouse and keyboard capture to a
Windows guest.

Best of all, it is opensource. You can grab precompiled binaries, which
are free for academic use, or compile the system yourself. Definitely
worth a look, especially for those people who have a native Win app
which refuses to work under wine. Virtualisation is much more speedier
option if you have the memory to back it up. Check it out, it is so
simple to set up.

Cheers,

Adam