[Offtopic] mobile roaming and travel sims

Kevork Krozian kevork at edulists.com.au
Sat Jan 15 19:17:46 EST 2011

Hi Roland,

Yes be careful of roaming . Charging for roaming has become obscene.

In Sep 2009 I travelled to the Middle East and decided to use Telstra
roaming.

In Palestine I was charged USD60 for a 30 sec call with one carrier whereas
an alternative carrier charged less than USD2.

When I got back I had about 1 hour of calls in both directions in total and
got a bill for $1200. I refused to pay.

My defence was that I had enquired what it would cost to roam before I left
and did not get a specific answer apart from - not much and it depends where
you go.

When I mentioned the 5 countries I would travel through I was told it
depends on the carriers. When I asked which carriers are the best to use I
was told they wouldn't vary much.

We settled for $200 .

Take Care and beware

Kevork Krozian