[Offtopic] Ipads

Cameron Bell bell.cameron.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Sat Feb 26 12:21:48 EST 2011

Well - here is one thing I found I can do with an iPad, that I can't do with a netbook. Mind you It is the only thing at this stage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esOyfvRunyE

My personal opinion is that the intro of iPads is a tad premature and that it is an expensive trial that parents are bearing the cost of in a lot of cases. My daughter has one (Government supplied) and I have seen her use it very constructively, but apart from the physical benefits of instant on, small form factor, extended battery life, she has done nothing that couldn't be done on a netbook. As far as I can tell there has been no significant pedagogical change driven by the use of the devices- yet.
Yes you need to have access to the devices to see what they can do and how you may develop uses for them, but to have parents funding playtime for teachers is a bit unfair. If schools are serious about the introduction, they should fund it themselves, do a rigourous (and independent) assessment of the benefits before booklisting them. It really does smack of "look at what we are doing".
I think to truly drive the pedagogical change you can envisage these devices creating, they need to be the 3G version and GPS enabled - many schools are hamstringing any developments by locking them to their wireless infrastructure (due to cost). Personally, I think an independently owned netbook with 3G would allow a greater transformation in learning than the iPad. It would force a school down the path that we are inevitably going and give them a true head start.
I believe that if a school finds itself pressured to rely on every new toy to engage the kids and promote itself then it needs to spend more time and money on the curriculum and teachers, not the technology.

Cheers
Cameron