[Offtopic] www.australiancurriculum.edu.au

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 20:06:12 EST 2010

Hmm, under construction, all it needs is an animated workman with a shovel.

*"My School shows us that some 12 percent of schools have 70 percent or more
of their literacy and numeracy results below or substantially below the
average of their statistically similar schools."
*
Apparently it has been said that the *My Student* website notes that 50% of
all students are below average, a truely shocking statistic that is plainly
being ignored. Honestly, how can the bottom 1% of students hope to fare
better? If the glacial weight of the top 99% are not grinding them down, it
will be the oppressive and collective weight of trend lines, box plots and
assorted numbers lumped into a potato sack filled with statistics.

Say, did anybody spot the the ironic and dark twist in the last BBC
Torchwood episode when league tables were used to determine how to best
decimate the population of school aged children?

What do we really value, what matters and what are we trying to measure?

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au