[Offtopic] What does this server do?
rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 09:51:57 EST 2010
Typically schools have a couple of file servers, sometimes one doing
everything, sometimes a set running as a VM on a super box, sometimes a
couple of old and strange boxes that nobody is sure about until the power is
turned off and all hell breaks loose. I was curious about the odd server
functions that seem to accumulate in all these organisations.
In the frivolous christmas spirt of IT whimsy and lore as our report cycle
slips into dim memory, I have created a few new set of theoretical servers
that you could add to your build list for 2011. Off the top of my head we
- *WIkileak*: for network auditing the binary remains from any crashed
packets and unplugged network points.
- *Pong*: for countering network DOS 3.1 and ping attacks
- *Bucket*: for holding spam, trash can contents and Dept reports to be
blessed by a monk before being deleted
- *Organic:* runs on a server made entirely out of sustainable harvested
wood and straw.
- *EduLock*: that is so secure, nobody can even login to see what it does
beyond consuming electricity
- *Hal*: opens and closes the school doors, has an unnerving red light
and oddly melodic hum.
I would like to hear any others that we could add to this list and my
competition for the best strange server name and function for 2011.
Don't just hit reply, send your post to the offtopic list please! Lets
quarantine our fun :-)
http://www.edulists.com.au/mailman/listinfo/offtopic (to subscribe)
Roland Gesthuizen - ICT Coordinator - Westall Secondary College
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change
the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." --Margaret Mead
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the offtopic