[Offtopic] RE: passwords

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Mon May 11 10:15:16 EST 2009

Hi all,

> According to The Age, the New Scientist magazine recently advises that,
> for your passwords, people should, 'pick two unrelated words, and join
> them with a punctuation mark.' Their example given, 'magpie/towerblock'
> They assert such passwords are memorable while also difficult to guess.

For possible interest and assistance re passwords here are the responses
from our Ed colleagues, across education lists, and, in order of receipt:

--

For secure passwords I use a pattern on the keyboard.  For instance
bhuYGV567 - Just remember where it starts and whether you have caps on or

--

I have certain phrases that are easy to remember and i simply use them as
a mnemonic, taking the first letter from each word...  for example "The

--

This year I found an algorithm to generate new passwords for our Novell
network. They consisted of four letters that read to create random and

The DEECD cases admin system mandates the use of passwords with numbers,
case elements and other cryptic components. Tighter security that users
find hostile to their memory will suffer from the danger that they will
defeat the password by secretly recording the password on a location near
the computer. I have seen this done on countless occasions. As one chap
pointed out, it made as much as much sense as asking him to memorise (Pi)
to xxx places (something I did a long time ago when I had too much time
on my hands)  Regards  Roland

--

At my school I give every student a password that consists of a three
letter word, a dash, another three letter word and a number eg rub-won9

--

Two completely unrelated words....hmmm....

windows&works
logies+entertainment
richmond-win
NRL<IQ

Yeah - I can see what they're getting at, fiendishly clever. Endless
possibilities. Cameron

--

AHHH, Now I understand ......

Military/intelligence
Common/sense

*giggle*

Colin

--

(and, regarding a reference for the original item/post)

Well, dont have a url, but, it was a one paragraph item in the "Loose
Change' column by one James Lockington, on page 3 of the "Money Talks"
section of the "Money" centre liftout section of The Age, Wed May 6th
2009 edition. I just basically typed up the entire one paragraph item.
Cheers, Stephen

--

Thanks,
Stephen