[Offtopic] The Education Tax Refund

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Fri Jun 19 12:27:49 EST 2009

Hi all,

It seems a *very good* time to remind students that most of Australian is 
eligible for significant tax breaks on edu-items purchased before 1st July


The Australian Government’s Education Tax Refund means you could get 
50% back on a range of your children’s education expenses – for eligible 
items bought before 1 July, 2009.

It’s a refund of up to $375 for each primary school child and $750 for 
each secondary school child. 

You can claim expenses like textbooks, stationery, educational software 
and even computers, printers and internet costs.

You are eligible if you receive Family Tax Beneft (FTB) Part A for a 
child at school .. You can claim the refund on your tax return. If you 
don’t need to lodge a tax return you can still claim, so be sure you keep 
your receipts and claim from 1 July 2009.

Visit:  www.australia.gov.au/educationtaxrefund  or call 13 28 61

And, at: http://www.educationtaxrefund.gov.au/about-the-ETR/  they say:

The Education Tax Refund (ETR) is a new government initiative to help 
with the cost of educating primary and secondary school children. It 
means eligible parents, carers, legal guardians and independent students 
could get 50% back on some education expenses. This includes items like 
computers, educational software, textbooks and stationery.

Most people are eligible for the ETR because they receive Family Tax 
Benefit (FTB) Part A. However, there are some payments that prevent you 
from receiving FTB Part A, but which still entitle you to receive the 

You can also claim the refund if you are an independent student.

You can claim the ETR each financial year for children in primary and/or 
secondary school, or if you are an independent student. You will be able 
to claim the refund from 1 July 2009 for the 2008/09 financial year. 

This means you can claim for items purchased from 1 July 2008. Remember 
to keep your receipts as they will help you calculate your entitlement 
and you may be required to produce them as proof of purchase.

You can claim the ETR even if you are not required to lodge a tax return.


Cheers people
Stephen Loosley
Member, Victorian
Institute of Teaching

More information about the offtopic mailing list