[Offtopic] Been on video?

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Mon Dec 7 16:45:43 EST 2009

Hi all,

Does your school's mobile phone protocols cover this?

--
Phone camera rules needed to protect teachers

ANNA PATTY and MATTHEW BENNS,  November 29, 2009

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/phone-camera-rules-
needed-to-protect-teachers-20091128-jxvz.html

MOBILE phones are being increasingly used as a teaching aid in the
classroom, despite the risk of students uploading footage on to video-
sharing websites to name and shame their teachers.

Now guidelines are being developed to protect the privacy of teachers and
students when mobile phones are used to film in classrooms.

Jim McAlpine, president of the NSW Secondary Principals Council, said it
would be wrong to remove mobile phones from classrooms.

"We cannot ban technology - that would be like returning to horses
instead of cars," he said.

"The sooner students are taught about the ethical use of mobile phones
and laptops the better."

But Mr McAlpine said there had to be consequences for the inappropriate
use of mobile phones.

The issue was highlighted in Britain this year when a teacher in
Liverpool became a star on video-sharing website YouTube after a pupil
secretly filmed him pretending to be a chicken.

Another site, called Desishock Videos has uploaded footage under the
title Stupid Teacher - Standard Of Education in Pakistan. The person who
claims to have taken it on a camcorder hidden in a pouch said the teacher
had been sacked after it was shown.

The NSW Department of Education said individual schools were responsible
for developing their own mobile phone protocols.

Dianne Giblin, president of the NSW P&C Association, said: "We support
young people keeping their technology with them - to remove it would be
to deny them their social networks. I used to pass notes in school and
text messaging is just a more sophisticated way of doing it."

"But we do need the education processes in place to ensure the
appropriate use of that technology."

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald

--

Cheers,