[Offtopic] School laptop policy

Stephen Digby digby.stephen.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri May 16 07:46:09 EST 2008

Agree with Jim 100% (from the teacher point ot view).
Diversity is fine until the student, the teachers and the parent wants
school staff to troublshoot the specific computer that is not able to access
school resources/ internet. As the computer is not a school "image" and has
a VERY idiosynchratic mix of xoftware and useage it could take a very long
time to diagnose and get connected.
When we say that it works fine on our test machines and we can't help beyond
that, we get less than accepting responses.
Either charge students individually for the tech help re non-recommended
hardware configuration or suggest thst they stay with a specific setup (OR
offer to re-image their personal computer for them with a school licenced
image.)

Stephen Digby, Learning Technology Manager
mailto: digby.stephen.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Cheltenham Secondary College www.cheltsec.vic.edu.au
Ph: 613 955 55 955  Fx: 9555 8617 Mb: 0431-701-028

Leadership is action, not position. Donald H. McGannon