[Offtopic] School laptop policy (was: Dual booting Macs)

Jim Maunder techo at ruyton.vic.edu.au
Thu May 15 15:04:01 EST 2008

At 12:06 PM 15/05/2008, you wrote:

Oh dear, where to start?

Firstly, uniformity.
The girls use their own laptops/tablets (from Grade 5) in nearly
every class (don't ask me what they do, I don't know exactly), and in
many classes teachers use EWBs to demonstrate how to do a particular
task. In the junior classes the girls learn basic operations (cut,
paste, copy etc) as well as the use of office apps (WP, spreadsheet
etc). The junior clases make good use of MS OneNote, particularly the
collaboration feature. It makes the teacher's life a lot easier if
everyone is the same or at least similar.

Aside - the kids can adapt to just about anything - for our French
immersion stream a few years ago we had a lab set up with dual boot
PCs - Win98 and the usual stuff, and the French version of SuSe linux
with StarOffice, Firefox, Eudora etc all in French. The 10 year old
girls managed this just no problems.

Further aside - senior school maths students are expected to have a
particular model of TI calculator, and I have heard no-one complain
about that. (and I prefer reverse Polish HP programmable calculators
myself - I still run up the old HP-45 occasionally)

Yet another aside - I don't think too many organisations with as many
client machines as us would tolerate much in the way of user
individuality. (In 1995 I was working at Monash University - we heard
of an academic bringing in their own copy of Win95 and 'upgrading'
their uni provided PC. When he could not get it working on the
network he phoned the tech centre. The technician came around,
removed the network cable and left - refusing to help this
'individual'. A bit rough, but I can see why.)

Secondly, network access.
We use Novell networking here - there is a freely available Novell
client for the various varieties of Windows, a non-free one for Mac,
and non-trivial clients for the various linuxes. (the one for SuSe is
easy enough though). Network printing goes through some sort of
charging system, and although a smart person could bypass the system
by install the printers as IP printers, it is not something we wish
to encourage. Users need to be able to 'log on' to get to the network
drives - although a user can do this from a browser if necessary,
again something we don't encourage.

Thirdly, support.
Laptops/tablets bought through the school come pre-imaged. Laptops
brought from outside are set up by me - Novell client, browser, email
client, MS Office if needed, and a few other school-specific apps,
and we charge a service fee for this. I have enough trouble keeping
up with Win XP and Vista.

Finally, school prerogative.
Students (and parents) should do what they are told!!

Those are our reasons. I accept the gist of the 'rant', and in some
ways agree with what is written. But we have to manage our
environment, and this policy is one that works for us.

Boy, that was a long reply!

rgds
non-offended Jim