[Offtopic] Educational Games & Simulations

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Fri May 9 22:21:09 EST 2008

Date:    Tue, 6 May 2008 09:36:06 +0200
From:    Baltasar Fernandez-Manjon <balta at FDI.UCM.ES>
Subject: Educational Games & Simulations for Virtual Learning Environments

Dear all,

It is a pleasure for me to announce the recent release as a public beta of
the 0.3 version of the <e-Adventure> platform.

<e-Adventure> is a research project aiming to facilitate the integration of
educational games and game-like simulations in educational processes in
general and Virtual Learning Environments (VLE) in particular.

It has been developed by the e-learning research group (www.e-ucm.es) at
the Universidad Complutense de Madrid.

The core of the project is the educational game engine .. Authors can use
the graphical editor to create the games or directly access the human-
readable source documents that describe the adventures using XML markup.

With <e-Adventure>, any person can write an educational point & click
adventure game. Also it is very simple to create first person simulations
that can be very useful for training or teaching procedural knowledge.

The platform includes special features targeting educational environments,
such as built-in assessment and debriefing and the possibility of exporting
the games as standards-compliant Learning Objects (packaged according to
the IMS Content Packaging specification and marked with IEEE LOM etadata).

The games can thus be deployed without effort in different VLEs and stored
in content repositories.

The tools, and a detailed tutorial, are here: http://e-adventure.e-ucm.es

Feel free to visit our website and test-drive the tools. We would love to
hear your comments and, if you create an interesting game and wish to give
it some exposure, we can make it available through our website (properly
credited, of course).

Don’t forget to have fun!

Best regards,

Balta & <e-adventure> team

Baltasar Fernandez Manjon
Vicedecano de Investigación y Relaciones Externas
Vice-dean for Research and External Relations

Dpto. de Ingeniería del Software e Inteligencia Artificial
Facultad de Informatica  ( Despacho 414)
C/ Profesor Jose Garcia Santesmases S/N, Ciudad Universitaria
Universidad Complutense de Madrid
28040 Madrid - SPAIN

Email (personal) : balta at fdi.ucm.es  Vicedecano: vdxfdi at fdi.ucm.es
Tfno   (+34) 91 394 75 17 / 7513  | Fax     (+34) 91 394 75 47
http://www.e-ucm.es/people/balta/
--

Sample games: http://e-adventure.e-ucm.es/index.php?content=Sample_Games

Cheers, Balta