[Offtopic] The Making Australia Home project

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Thu Jul 10 23:17:42 EST 2008

Sylvano writes,

The Making Australia Home project was launched on Wednesday .. arranged
to mark Australia's Constitution Day ..

The Australian National Archives project, 'Making Australia Home' is
progressively making our migration records available online.

The project will provide easier access to this significant part of
Australia's documentary heritage, as well as ensuring preservation of the
records for generations to come.

The project involves:

    * listing individual migration records on RecordSearch, our online
      collection database

    * making digital copies of these migration records available to view
      in RecordSearch

Migration records in the National Archives cover many millions of people
who made the journey to Australia, including postwar displaced persons,
those who travelled on assisted passage schemes and new arrivals who
stayed in migrant accomodation centres like Bonegilla.

The records typically include personal details, such as name, nationality,
date and place of birth and information about family members. In some
cases there are photographs on the files.

How to find migration records ..

The first step to finding out whether the National Archives hold migration
records about you or your family is easy.

NameSearch, (a link) part of our RecordSearch database, lets you search
specifically for migration records.

Simply enter the family surname and select 'Immigration and naturalisation
records' using the drop-down list. Make sure you try variations of the
name if you don't find records on your first attempt.. (etc, at url below)

http://www.aa.gov.au/whats-on/records-releases/making-australia-home.aspx

(and)

news.smh.com.au/national/immigrants-details-to-go-online-20080709-3ceo.html

Sylvano

PS: NAA reminds me to wish Happy Constitution Day to all
www.aa.gov.au/whats-on/exhibitions/on-show/federation/constitution.aspx
--

Cheers Sylvano
Stephen Loosley