[Offtopic] Facebook and staff productivity

Jim Maunder techo at ruyton.vic.edu.au
Mon Apr 21 08:51:33 EST 2008

At 09:21 AM 08/04/2008, you wrote:
>Thank you very much, Geoff.
>
>In one way it is annoying that tech staff make judgments on teaching
>staff productivity.
>In the end, we should all be able to choose how we use our 'free' time.
>As Ros succintly put it -- should be ban newspapers, sudoku, visiting
>domaindotcomdotau or doing email activities?

I've already sent this - just added a bit to clarify things.

Ohhh - I can't let this go by without a comment (even though it
impacts on my productivity)!
Adding: I write this a 'tech staff' person who sits in a workshop
next door to the office of my boss, who the finance manager often
pops in to visit unannounced (I can't see him until the workshop door
opens). I have a fairly constant stream of customers (I'm the only
laptop tech for 500 laptops) and a small pile of lappies needing my
attention. Fortunately I do have the freedom to organise my own work,
but I suspect many tech staff do not, and could be somewhat envious
of the freedom teachers seem to have.

My guess is that many teachers have never had to work in a normal
office in a typical non-school enterprise - they have not had to sit
within sight of 'the boss', waiting like Bristow for the dreaded
yell: 'GET BACK TO WORK!!!'. A typical office worker does not have
the freedom that teachers have to organise their own time. I once
worked in a drawing office where to even raise your head to think
about a design problem would invite a comment from the Design Engineer.

Do you permit your students to read the papers, check their MySpace,
sit around drinking coffee and chatting in class like teachers might
in a typical staffroom?

rgds
Jim

We have to use this Disclaimer

Views, opinions, etc. expressed reflect those of the author and not
Ruyton Girls' School

Jim Maunder
Ruyton Girls School
Melbourne, Australia