[Offtopic] Ultranet

Alexakos, Zach Z alexakos.zach.z at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed May 23 10:47:03 EST 2007

Education Department Guidelines for Management of Schools and Staff:
1) Always provide schools with retro software eg: CASES
2) Provide the most minimal information to employees as
possible-eg:Ultranet
3) Long Term Planning- "What's that?"
4) Spend as much taxpayer money as possible- The more money spent the
better it sounds
5) Send dead beat speakers around to all schools to waste staff time and
energy

I know some people outside the department (private sector) who have been
dealing with Ultranet and they say they like it- but who wouldn't if you
were being paid a truckload of money.

The point is Ultranet has to deliver to thousands of schools and remain
updated and functional in all areas of school management and schooling
in general-class rolls, enrolments, curriculum, real time communication.

To date I can't think of many department initiatives that have been
successfully, (efficiently or effectively) implemented in schools around
the state.  VELS and the new report writing system is a case in point.

So if one were to follow history and the trends things aren't looking
good.

Zach Alexakos

Cameron Bell Said:
"I don't want to kick a system before I know anything about it, but
that's the problem, I don't. Does anyone know where the input is coming
from? Whether they will mandate all schools use this thing?
Where can you find out so that long term-planning can be taken into
account?"