[Offtopic] cool times

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 00:16:53 EST 2007

 <http://www.flickr.com/photos/plakboek/575613901/>
 Moon and Venus <http://www.flickr.com/photos/plakboek/575613901/>
The Moon and Venus lined up in the evening sky on Tuesday 19 June 2007.
Saturn is just off the top of the image so my aim was slightly out. The
evening was very cold and I had to rush this photograph, shivering whilst
bracing the camera on the wobbly roof of the car in the school car park. I
am now glad that I tried to take this photograph as the sky rained out on
the following dates. I have also uploaded another very long exposure of this
Moon and Venus series
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/plakboek/575615549/>with the settings
adjusted. It includes a very faint Saturn and trail from a
plane that flew through the shot and annotations.

I now notice that the time and date settings on the digital camera are
incorrect by two days (sigh) Somebody has been fiddling with the settings
again when I loaned the camera out so I had to guess and reset these images
manually. I used an opensource software package called
Stellarium<http://www.stellarium.org/>to work out the extact date and
time with a virtual planetarium.

Cripes it was cold that evening, was really glad to get back into the car.

Regards Roland

PS: Melbourne is lucky to be hosing Linux.conf 2008 at Melbourne Uni over
January 2008. The Call for
Presentations<http://linux.conf.au/presentations>/ papers is worth
considering or even perhaps just tagging along to one of
the preconference workshop activities. From the 2007 conference video
webcasts <http://www.linux.org.au/conf/2007/>, they manage to get some very
interesting people together for this conference.

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au