[Offtopic] Points to consider including in VIT Review Response

Stephen Digby digby.stephen.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Aug 27 12:05:41 EST 2007

True, Jim.
VERB should be run and funded by voluntary membership, but if it performs regulatory functions for the government, it should get
some government funding and have a government rep.
Basic argument against current setup is that it has been created and run as a government organisation with government objectives

Rebuild it as a professional institute with voluntary membership and real membership involvement in decision-making where it
provides advantages of membership and see what happens....

Stephen Digby, Learning Technology Manager
mailto: admin at cheltsec.vic.edu.au 
Cheltenham Secondary College www.cheltsec.vic.edu.au
Ph: 613 955 55 955  Fx: 9555 8617 Mb: 0431-701-028
A man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. He sits on a hot stove for a minute, it's longer than any hour.
That is relativity.   Albert Einstein 

-----Original Message-----
From: offtopic-bounces at edulists.com.au [mailto:offtopic-bounces at edulists.com.au] On Behalf Of techo
Sent: Monday, 27 August 2007 9:49 AM
To: Information Technology Teachers' Offtopic Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Offtopic] Points to consider including in VIT Review Response

At 10:58 AM 26/08/2007, you wrote:...
>Create new structures:
>    * VERB - Victorian educational Regulatory
> Board: Registration of Teachers, Approves and  accredits pre-service 
>teacher education  courses, Misconduct Investigations. Run by  
>government. Paid from general revenue.
>    * VEI- Victorian Educational Institute: 
> Promotion of the profession, Works with  teachers. Paid from voluntary 
>membership. Run  by members elected by membership.
Hello Stephen -

Just for the info for the the few of us non-teachers here - is there a professional association for teachers along the lines on the
Institution of Engineers Australia, the Royal Australian Institue of Architects, the AMA etc? 
Even though I've worked in schools for about 10 years I don't recall hearing or seeing anything about such an organisation.

The ones I mentioned are run by practitioners of the professions, and at least in the case of Engineers,  set the requirements for
accreditation to work as an engineer (and call yourself 'engineer') and hence set the fields of study to be satisfactorily completed
at a tertiary level, lobby the various governments on behalf of engineers, run PD sessions (IEAust for example requires 30 hours of
PD a year or hand back your membership and the right to put MIEAust after your name.) If there is not such a body for teachers there
should be imho.

Jim (ex MIEAust)

We have to use this Disclaimer

Views, opinions, etc. expressed reflect those of the author and not Ruyton Girls' School

Jim Maunder
Ruyton Girls School
Melbourne, Australia

offtopic mailing list
offtopic at edulists.com.au

Important - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations or opinions expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development.

More information about the offtopic mailing list