[Offtopic] Points to consider including in VIT Review Response

techo techo at ruyton.vic.edu.au
Mon Aug 27 09:48:35 EST 2007

At 10:58 AM 26/08/2007, you wrote:...
>Create new structures:
>    * VERB – Victorian educational Regulatory
> Board: Registration of Teachers, Approves and
> accredits pre-service teacher education
> courses, Misconduct Investigations. Run by
> government. Paid from general revenue.
>    * VEI- Victorian Educational Institute:
> Promotion of the profession, Works with
> teachers. Paid from voluntary membership. Run
> by members elected by membership.
Hello Stephen -

Just for the info for the the few of us
non-teachers here - is there a professional
association for teachers along the lines on the
Institution of Engineers Australia, the Royal
Australian Institue of Architects, the AMA etc?
Even though I've worked in schools for about 10
years I don't recall hearing or seeing anything about such an organisation.

The ones I mentioned are run by practitioners of
the professions, and at least in the case of
Engineers,  set the requirements for
accreditation to work as an engineer (and call
yourself 'engineer') and hence set the fields of
study to be satisfactorily completed at a
tertiary level, lobby the various governments on
behalf of engineers, run PD sessions (IEAust for
example requires 30 hours of PD a year or hand
back your membership and the right to put MIEAust
after your name.) If there is not such a body for
teachers there should be imho.

rgds
Jim (ex MIEAust)

We have to use this Disclaimer

Views, opinions, etc. expressed reflect those of the author and not
Ruyton Girls' School

Jim Maunder
Ruyton Girls School
Melbourne, Australia