[Offtopic] Points to consider including in VIT Review Response

techo techo at ruyton.vic.edu.au
Mon Aug 27 09:48:35 EST 2007

At 10:58 AM 26/08/2007, you wrote:...
>Create new structures:
>    * VERB – Victorian educational Regulatory 
> Board: Registration of Teachers, Approves and 
> accredits pre-service teacher education 
> courses, Misconduct Investigations. Run by 
> government. Paid from general revenue.
>    * VEI- Victorian Educational Institute: 
> Promotion of the profession, Works with 
> teachers. Paid from voluntary membership. Run 
> by members elected by membership.
Hello Stephen -

Just for the info for the the few of us 
non-teachers here - is there a professional 
association for teachers along the lines on the 
Institution of Engineers Australia, the Royal 
Australian Institue of Architects, the AMA etc? 
Even though I've worked in schools for about 10 
years I don't recall hearing or seeing anything about such an organisation.

The ones I mentioned are run by practitioners of 
the professions, and at least in the case of 
Engineers,  set the requirements for 
accreditation to work as an engineer (and call 
yourself 'engineer') and hence set the fields of 
study to be satisfactorily completed at a 
tertiary level, lobby the various governments on 
behalf of engineers, run PD sessions (IEAust for 
example requires 30 hours of PD a year or hand 
back your membership and the right to put MIEAust 
after your name.) If there is not such a body for 
teachers there should be imho.

Jim (ex MIEAust)

We have to use this Disclaimer

Views, opinions, etc. expressed reflect those of the author and not
Ruyton Girls' School

Jim Maunder
Ruyton Girls School
Melbourne, Australia

More information about the offtopic mailing list