[Offtopic] Re: VIT's policing role

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Mon Aug 13 23:06:00 EST 2007

Hi all,

So, "97.5 per cent of (teachers) experienced some sort of bullying .. the
bullies were the school executive .."

Does anyone feel protected by the VIT? :-)

Children Not The Only Ones Bullied
Milanda Rout | July 16, 2007
<http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22080531-13881,00.html>

TEACHERS are being bullied by angry parents and senior colleagues almost
as much as students bully each other in the playground.

Researchers believe a "frightening" number of teachers experience threats
from parents and are bullied by senior staff.

Such intimidation has led teachers to take out intervention orders against
parents, leave the school and even quit the profession.

The University of New England is undertaking the first nationwide survey
to determine the extent of the problem.

Project head Dan Riley said the research followed a pilot study of 200
Catholic school teachers completed in 2005, which showed the problem was
much more widespread than they had thought.

"We found 97.5 per cent of the 200 did experience some sort of bullying,"
he said.

"The bullies were the school executive, followed by parents and then
principals. It is a bit frightening. We didn't actually expect to find
what we did."

Dr Riley said bullying tactics used by senior staff included isolation,
negative comments about performance and "picking on" teachers in front of
others.