[Offtopic] Digital Storage

Cameron Bell bell.cameron.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Aug 3 08:33:10 EST 2007

Hi,
I am cross-posting this as I need to try and capture a cross-section of
school-based person reading it.

Could you please do me a favour and give me an indication of if your
school has a policy in place for dealing with the long term storage of
digital artifacts. I am most concerned that many of my students and
staff have no thought to the long term retrieval of digital work. As we
move into digital portfolios, I want to be sure that students in Yr 7
are still able to read their work in Yr 12, even if it is just for
novelty value, but hopefully to enable reflection and to be able to map
out the journey they have taken at school. I am also wanting to try and
get an indication of the particular file formats that schools have
settled upon for the variety of applications/uses in their curriculum
and admin.
E.g Written Docs, music files, graphics files etc

Does your school have rules that govern the types of file formats that
will be used?
At what level (or in what course) do you deal with this issue with your
students?
Does your staff have a good understanding of the implications of using
particular file formats for future retrieval?

I would very much also like it if you are prepared to admit that it is
not being dealt with at your school, particularly if you can give me
reasons why you think it is not an issue or why your school does not
think it needs to be addressed.

I understand that if you do not wish to comment publicly on this, or
clutter the list, so I welcome off-list replies to my email address.

Thanks in advance
Cameron Bell
bell.cameron.p at edumail.vic.gov.au

Important - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations or opinions expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of the Department of Education.