[Offtopic] Microsoft's Flash

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Fri Aug 3 05:27:24 EST 2007

<http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/07/26/Rich-media-reaches-Microsoft-
developers_1.html?source=NLC-AD&cgd=2007-08-02>

At Microsoft's MIX 07 conference, the keynote was mostly about Silverlight.

What is Silverlight, and why should we care about it?

<http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/why-compelling.aspx>

Officially, Silverlight "is a cross-browser, cross-platform plug-in for
delivering the next generation of .NET based media experiences and rich
interactive applications for the Web."

Microsoft claims: "Stunning vector-based graphics, media, text, animation,
and overlays that enable seamless integration of graphics and effects
into any existing Web application."

>From the user's viewpoint, to enable Silverlight, you download and install
a 1.4 MB plugin, and then you can view Silverlight content in IE, Firefox
or Safari.

>From a developer's viewpoint, once you have the tools installed, you
instantiate Silverlight by including some JavaScript helper files from
your HTML, and then you can display and script XAML files in your Web
pages.

Free Developer Tools: <http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/tools.aspx>

Microsoft cites four key benefits of Silverlight:

1. Compelling cross-platform user experiences
2. Flexible Programming Model with Collaboration Tools
3. High-quality media, low-cost delivery
4. Connected to data, servers, and services

Two versions of Silverlight were announced Monday: the V1.0 beta, and the
V1.1 Alpha.

Again, why should we care? If you're a cynic, Silverlight just looks like
Microsoft's answer to Flash.

But if you like the idea of XAML-based display, or the idea of programming
in managed code, then Silverlight offers a compelling model for
programming the Web client.

--

Message sent using MelbPC WebMail Server