[Offtopic] Linux

Stephen Loosley stephen at melbpc.org.au
Tue Mar 21 23:02:55 EST 2006

Sydney school teaches with Linux monopoly
Rodney Gedda
Computerworld
21/03/2006 07:15:56

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php?id=407925021eid=-255

Linux may be struggling to gain a foothold in the primary and secondary
education market, but one Sydney school is setting itself higher grades -
all without Microsoft.

At the Lorien Novalis School in the suburb of Glenhaven, 350 students from
kindergarten through to year 12 and 38 staff have been learning with the
(Linux) penguin for the past four years.

Stuart Rushton, the school's ICT manager, told Computerworld that senior
students first suggested the move to Linux.

"The school was Mac shop and when it was time to upgrade they said why not
try Linux?" Rushton said. "So we bought cheap second-hand computers and put
Linux on them and we've been running it ever since."

With about 30 desktops running Mandriva (formerly Mandrake) Linux 2006 -
chosen for its ease of installation and use - on modest 1GHz Pentium
desktops, students use a variety of open source applications for their
coursework, including OpenOffice, Firefox, Nvu for Web editing, Evolution
for e-mail, Scribus for publishing, the Gimp for image manipulation, QCad
for design, and KDevelop for Pascal programming.

"They more than cover everything for education," Rushton said. "If we came
to a blockage we would organize around it but have not yet."

The non-open source application is Mojo for animation which Rushton said
"works brilliantly on Linux".

Other computers at the school are eight "legacy" Macs used for
administration and two Windows machines required for a proprietary library
catalogue application. Six other classic Macs are used for video editing
but Rushton is seriously looking at replacing Apple's iMovie with the open
source Cinelerra video editing tool.

The school's main server is also running Mandriva, version 10.1.

"In 2002 our first server was a well used Sun Ultra 10 (Sparc) running
Mandrake 7 [and] it worked very well until the hardware failed," Rushton
said.

"In 2003 our second server was a very well used HP Netserver LD Pro
133MHz, running Mandrake 9. It couldn't cope with the demand [but]
nonetheless it gave good service 90 percent of the time. Late in 2004
our third server, a new HP Proliant ML 110 running Mandrake 10.1 has
given 100 percent service ever since [with] no downtime."

While Rushton's focus is on the "education side" everyone at the school is
interested in extending Linux use, including moving the library system to
the open source Koha. Also under consideration is locally-born Moodle for
online course management.

"We have an opportunity to consolidate everything on Linux," he said. "Most
important is students working with open source and evolving from there. We
started with education because it's where the future of Linux is."

Because Lorien Novalis is comparatively small, Rushton said it does not
suffer from the bureaucracy or the "enormous inertia to overcome" of a
large school so Linux could get in easily and "everyone was unanimous".

"Our reason for going to Linux was predominantly philosophical, then for
quality, and third was the cost - we wanted the best option," he said. "We
bought the Mandriva PowerPack to get the manuals and to support open
source companies. Often we download free stuff but the latest version was
purchased. We're interested in free as in freedom, not that you don't have
to pay for something."

Rushton said cost is important but likened vendors that give away
educational software to McDonald's giving away free food, "that's a
short-term gain".

"School education should be about cooperation and sharing knowledge, which
is exactly what open source is about - that's why I can't understand why
schools don't embrace it on that level," he said, adding there is a "big
black hole" when it comes to Linux in education.

"People are talking about it but are still way behind," he said.

"Everyone's interested in teaching a word processor, but not interested in
a political statement. The deep technology literacy issue is not even
discussed."

Students using Linux at school is also having a flow-on effect outside
campus with at least 12 using the operating system at home.

"The kids love their lab and have a lot of ownership. We take it seriously
how they feel about lab, and they enjoy that it works," Rushton said. "The
tinker value of Linux is brilliant and kids love to tinker so they organize
their desktop in a way most people couldn't understand it."

--
I've never let my school interfere with my education.
-- Mark Twain

Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn