[Offtopic] FreeMind GNU Concept Mapping Software

Roland Gesthuizen rge at westallsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Mar 31 20:45:30 EST 2005

Yes FreeMind is great and easy to use once I got the swing of how to fast
click the entry of words, add clouds and shuffle the bits about .. although
a colleague corrected me on the difference between Mind Map and Concept Map.
(check Wikipedia) Mind Maps created can even be directly uploaded and viewed
on Wikipedia.

Attached is one that I made last week for GameMaker and the MindMap file
generated with FreeMind. I think there there is a plugin that lets you
directly view and manipulate the MindMap files from within Moodle.

Margaret Meijers (from Tassi) is currently writing a unit on games that
involves concept maps.  It's broader than just a game design unit as it is
also looking at other aspects of computer games and games in general eg
social aspects and it also includes other activities. Worth exploring the
discussions posted on the Tassi list.

You can enrol in the GameMaker group from this link
     http://www.groups.edna.edu.au/course/enrol.php?id=81

She also recommended exploring the free software CMAP, listing two
advantages including the ability for multiple users to build collaborative
concept maps in real time and create links to files, written notes, images
of characters, sounds, text files etc.  She has a CMap tutorial at
http://www.newtown.tased.edu.au/computingweb/cmap with download links etc.