[Moodle] External RSS Feeds

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 18:33:58 EST 2009

Yes, it is a wonderful feature to share.

Try some of the ABC news feeds. You can easily add these in using the tags
that you can select to list particular news feeds. For example, I am
interested in Science-Technology
     http://www.abc.net.au/news/tag/science-and-technology
     http://www.abc.net.au/news/tag/science-and-technology/rss.xml

Another could be health
     http://www.abc.net.au/news/tag/health
     http://www.abc.net.au/news/tag/health/rss.xml

A senior chemistry class could add this one
     http://www.abc.net.au/news/tag/chemistry/
     http://www.abc.net.au/news/tag/chemistry/rss.xml

Before I forget, EdNA have a detailed list of RSS feeds for teachers who
want to keep in touch with various events.
     http://www.edna.edu.au/edna/go/events
The best part about their website is that you can filter the requests to
create your own custom RSS feed. Here is one for Victorian events,

http://api.edna.edu.au/service/noticeboard?action=item&q=&from=&until=&location=vic&sector=school&calendar=all

I manage much of this using an online RSS reader. The best one I have found
is Google Reader that comes with my Google Gmail account. When promoting
this to teachers, it is wise to point out that RSS is a bit like a newspaper
.. just something to skim occasionally, not read in depth from cover to
cover, every day.

Regards Roland