[Moodle] Moodle at Primary and Secondary schools

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 07:10:28 EST 2006

Here is an interesting post to another Moodle in education list. I was
interested to read how this school group are using it at both the primary
and secondary levels to embed e-Learning across the school.

Regards Roland

Re: LEA Usage
by Steven Singer - Tuesday, 28 November 2006, 01:54

We at Newport LEA have been using
Moodle<http://moodle.org/mod/glossary/showentry.php?courseid=11&concept=Using+Moodle>for
over two years in a number of areas. From the LEA perspective we use a
Moodle install to support schools and teachers with professional networks
and development areas for CPD, which forms the LEA's website – you can have
a look at this at:

http://www.steplearn.net

For example our primary ICT co-ordinators communicate and share content and
ideas with each other as well as us supporting them through the course. This
has really been successful step forward in the way we work in partnership.
Other subject areas such as science, design technology are about to follow
suit on the curriculum side and governor support on the administrative side.

In addition, we have about 50% (about 30 installations) of our schools using
Moodle as their own independent websites which the LEA hosts and supports.
Have a look at:

http://www.steplearn.net/highcross (primary)

http://www.steplearn.net/clytha (primary)

http://www.stjulians.org.uk (secondary)

We took this strategic direction because Moodle is so powerful and enjoyable
for schools to use (compared with teaching them Dreamweaver), but also
because it can help us to embed e-learning as an integrated feature of the
LEA. We are going into schools to work with staff showing how this can work
at both primary and secondary phases. To help us to do this we are
using Think.com
<http://www.think.com/>in tandem with Moodle to create a cross-phase VLE
from 7-19 although a couple of infant schools are experimenting with Moodle
at a very basic level!

Hope this is useful! We would love to share some ideas with others.

Regards Steve