[Moodle] Basic IT Skills

Keith Richardson k.richardson at yavneh.vic.edu.au
Sat May 20 16:08:37 EST 2006

Hi Frank.
My initial reaction is a positive one, but with a degree of caution. I
find that kids get turned off when I try to teach a set of skills
(apparantly for the skill's own sake), so neither work enthusiastically
nor well, and fail to transfer what they have learnt into new
educational situations.

My thinking during planning therefore, flows along the following lines:
1/ first I identify the skills I want them to 'internalize' (so that
they become automatic and almost instinctive).
2/ then I think creatively of various ways I can generate a 'genuine
felt need' in the student for each of the pre-defined skills
3/ then I think of how I can have the tuition available in a JIT (just
in time) setup - maybe using moodle or some other device.
4/ I would then set up a series of challenges for the kids to overcome,
and they would be able to use many varied sources for advice etc.
5/ I would then set up a quiz or testing scenario that measures for the
student (and me) how well they are able to apply each required skill in
a new situation (thus checking transference of learning, quality of
understanding, and level of skill). Moodle quiz module is great for that
perhaps(?).
6/ above all, the whole activity should be FUN.

Cheers, Keith

On Sat, 20 May 2006 14:25:04 +1000, frankm at sjcs.melb.catholic.edu.au