[Year 12 IT Apps] itapps Digest, Vol 129, Issue 46

Vella, James jvella at mackillop.vic.edu.au
Thu Nov 19 11:21:48 AEDT 2015

The study design gives you a couple of places to start at:
- ...within a chosen field such as entertainment, sport, science/medicine, business and education...
- ...could reflect an existing or emerging trend, such as confirming or predicting a pattern in food culture within a defined precinct due to demographic shifts.

I haven't studied any of the natural sciences since Year 10 but my idea of a hypothesis is basically a statement is made which requires some sort of further investigation, usually though observation or analysis of data. To me, that definition is relevant in the context of we're getting the kids to make some sort of prediction and then they have to go and find data to support or refute their claim.

Don't forget that the kids have to decide what they would like to investigate and frame their hypothesis THEMSELVES. Teachers shouldn't be providing hypotheses to the students to investigate.

Examples might include:
- The number of deaths attributed to preventable illness is significantly higher in Asia in comparison to the rest of the world.
- Ebola has killed more people than any other illness, over the last 50 years.
- Australian education standards have increased over the last 20 years.

Remember the students aren't going to be getting marked down if they cannot support their hypothesis. U3O2 states clearly "to confirm or refute a hypothesis", which suggests that it will be a-ok.

Hope this helps.

JV

James Vella
Digital Technologies Learning Area Leader eLearning Leader
MacKillop College
Russell Street Werribee VIC 3030

T:  +61387345200
F:  +61387345261