[Year 12 IT Apps] For 2016 - Gender inclusivity

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Mon May 25 15:19:22 AEST 2015

Thanks Laurie

I laugh at the spelling mistakes on building and toilet doors, I can read the bumps on lift well buttons and on the top of the fast food coffee cups .. only in the day light as I am reading this by sight! I learned this when I needed a distraction whilst doing my Dip Ed. I failed miserably as a braille reader but I have oodles of respect for how our brains work and the challenges faced by students with a visual disability.

What many don’t realise is braille isnt just a 26 x letters for dot conversion, this is called uncontracted braille (or I think of it as uncompressed). To speed things up there are symbols for letter combinations and words or contracted brail .. six full dots represents the word FOR. Cool data compression!) Not bad for a two by three grid of six dots. http://braillebug.afb.org/braille_deciphering.asp <http://braillebug.afb.org/braille_deciphering.asp>

I guess that builders often ask an apprentice to do the sign construction under the toilet pictograph . The apprentice groans, looks it upon his mobile, hits the wikipedia page and types in the uncompressed code when setting up his engraving machine for room signs etc	. Nobody checks this work until the first visually impaired user runs their hand over the toilet door and chuckles.

Great to share with students, I use it to explain what it means to compress data to increase the transmission rate.

—
Roland GESTHUIZEN
http://about.me/rgesthuizen