[Year 12 IT Apps] For 2016 - Gender inclusivity

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Sat May 23 17:43:07 AEST 2015

You may have noticed many new toilets marked RH and LH.

Eg
http://www.bronsonsafety.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/500x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/u/n/unisex-toilet-rh-shower.png
And

http://www.bronsonsafety.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/500x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/u/n/unisex-toilet-lh.png

Conveniently these can be misinterpreted as being for right and left handed
people.

It is surprising how gullible some students and staff can be about this,
especially if there are more RH than LH, because you can direct
right-handers to "their" toilet and they notice nothing irregular.

I leave this as an exercise for the reader.

Ken.

On Saturday, May 23, 2015, Robert Hind <robert at yinnar.com
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','robert at yinnar.com');>> wrote:

>  Sorry to tell you Mark that those toilet identifiers are still sexist.
> Perhaps we should work towards toilets that are just toilets rather than
> being for men or for women - just like at home or on the aeroplane.
>
> Robert Hind
> Retired
> Ex Traralgon and Ashwood

Dr Ken Price MACS CP ACCE Professional Associate.
President, TASITE http://www.tasite.tas.edu.au