[Year 12 IT Apps] What Schools Must Learn From LA’s iPad Debacle

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Mon May 11 15:35:49 AEST 2015

Odd how they locked down the iPad devices in Los Angeles, I suspect so it could ONLY be used for this application and seems a waste and lost opportunity. No wonder that the first thing that kids did was to hack the device to satisfy their curiosity .. but is this really hacking?
	http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/10/students-are-hacking-their-school-issued-ipads-good-for-them/280196/

I that in Victoria, in the last few years have done a better job of our huge 1:1 IT deployments that are mostly driven by clearer educational goals. we frown at anything that involve a single solution, contract, vendor, learning strategy or large bucket of money.  Whilst we may have stumbled, I admire DET educators who are prepared the ask the hard questions about good teaching and learning with digital technologies. Only last week I sat through an iPad VideoConference workshop with some staff and realised how far they had come over the past few years with some serious discussions about how to help inspire and unleash creativity with these devices rather than a mindless search for yet another magical learning bullet to do what we have just always done.

We want our students to have good access to computers and the Internet and most of us take the time to listen to what students think, observe their use and reflect upon their learning.

—
Roland GESTHUIZEN
http://about.me/rgesthuizen