[Year 12 IT Apps] Data security

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 15:02:49 AEST 2015

At one time the famous Windows Blue Screen of Death was frequent enough to
reveal the many locations and services that used Windows. There was a giant
BSOD in Times Square NY at one point.

http://royal.pingdom.com/2008/10/09/blue-screen-of-death-in-unexpected-locations/
has some examples

re security -t hose illuminated road signs on trailers that are used to
inform or divert traffic are regularly hacked, as they often still have the
default password or a common simple password.

http://jalopnik.com/5141430/how-to-hack-an-electronic-road-sign has a range
of examples, and some (US) information on why they are often insecure.

You'd need to be careful discussing this with students (as with all
security issues) but someone has to take the message forward about security.

ken

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 2:49 PM, Roland Gesthuizen <rgesthuizen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> During 2008, I briefly amused myself with a price-checking terminal in a
> popular department store in the States whilst my wife was happily buying
> jeans that were on sale. Lacking a smart phone, I poked around the various
> menu option, the application halted and suddenly crashed. I suddenly found
> myself in a security hole where I could drop to a file explorer window. To
> my surprise, the device was running WIndows-Lite, a similarly primative OS.
> I could walk up and down the entire file tree, looking at the folder names.
> I could not see the contents but did have the odd privilege of making
> folders. From memory, I created a root level folder called “Please Secure
> Me”, took some souvenir photographs and departed when I was handed an
> armful of freshly purchased jeans.
>
> I was trying to remember a remark that Harry Harrison once made about
> Stainless Steel Rats that live in technologically advanced civilisations.
>

> *Roland GESTHUIZEN*http://about.me/rgesthuizen
>
> On 17 Apr 2015, at 12:42 pm, Mark <mark at vceit.com> wrote:
>
> Found in my travels. This is from 2014, which makes the story even more
> chilling in 2015.
>

> *Banks everywhere are in a race against time to upgrade their ATMs before
> they become hot targets for hackers.An estimated 95% of American bank ATMs
> run on Windows XP, and Microsoft is killing off tech support for that
> operating system on April 8 [2014]. That means Microsoft (MSFT) will no
> longer issue security updates to patch holes in Windows XP, leaving those
> ATMs exposed to new kinds of cyberattacks.*
>
> http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/04/technology/security/atm-windows-xp/
>
> --
>
> >> Witty sig goes HERE <<
>
> Mark Kelly
> mark AT vceit DOT com
> http://vceit.com

> Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority <br>
> Teachers Association Inc <br>

> Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority <br>
> Teachers Association Inc <br>

Dr Ken Price MACS CP ACCE Professional Associate.
President, TASITE http://www.tasite.tas.edu.au