[Year 12 IT Apps] comment about Informatics

Judy Zuccon zucconja at aquinas.vic.edu.au
Tue May 13 10:51:14 EST 2014

Good morning everyone,

I have only had a brief look at the draft Study Design but here are some thoughts.

I did not think that databases needed to be used for each Outcome, only Unit 3 Outcome 1. I was also thinking  a combination of software tools would be used for the SAT, building on the seven used in Units 1 & 2 Computing. I would hope students would use data visualisation tools or emerging online applications.

The idea of "organising" a SAT was initially daunting. I attend the Vis Com students presentations and have always been impressed with their passion for their original project. I spoke at length to the teacher about SATs who reassured me that students do come up with their own ideas and are really engaged. He also showed me all the documentation that VCAA produces to help with this form of assessment.

I experimented with my Year 8s! I quickly made up an activity (attached) and it worked really well. It is a watered down version of U2O1. This was one they liked:

http://static.squarespace.com/static/51b3dc8ee4b051b96ceb10de/51ce6099e4b0d911b4489b79/51ce6195e4b0d911b4499082/1372480902441/enhanced-buzz-wide-28265-1372291544-15.jpg

I think I will try and build up the necessary skills with the younger students, as they do in the Arts subjects. This way it will not be all unfamiliar in 2016.

My students actually don't seem to mind databases and 50% would chose to answer questions on RDBMS on the exam.

I agree; exciting times ahead.

Many thanks

Judy Zuccon

Teacher, Aquinas College