[Year 12 IT Apps] Informatics - aaargh

Leo Keith lkeith at distance.vic.edu.au
Tue May 13 10:21:38 EST 2014

I completely agree with Mark re : Informatics and gave draft feedback to that effect.

I feel that the name "Informatics" will turn students away and the content contains little that will appeal. It seems a confusing contradiction that portfolio based assessment is being introduced at the same time as the key skills and knowledge become more dry and theoretical.

Like Margaret I don't have a problem with the emphasis on database work (I already teach databases in both Units 3 & 4 as my students quite like them) but I'm worried the increased emphasis on data analysis and project management will give students little to sink their teeth into.

I would salvage ITA/Informatics by making it a subject based around web development. It could even be called "Web Development" to draw in the crowds. I think most of the draft key skills and knowledge could be retained in this case with a couple of minor tweaks.

*         the AOS on databases could have a focus on back-end development

*         the AOS which includes website analysis and visual design could focus on front end development

*         the web emphasis would put the project management and data analysis in an authentic, appealing, context

*         the subject would be "sellable to students"

This is how I have tried to teach ITA and I suppose I will try to coerce Informatics into a similar form but it doesn't look like it is going to be an easy subject to make appealing for students or teachers.

On a sidenote I'm pretty happy with the draft for Software Dev and am ambivalent about the draft for 11 Information Technology.

IMPORTANT - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using attachments, check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations or opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development.