[Year 12 IT Apps] For the other greybeards out there - Visicalc on Windows

Savage, John L savage.john.l at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Jul 17 14:47:59 EST 2014

You’re right about it (spreadsheet technology) bringing the PC onto desktops. Who would have thought spreadsheets and Space Invaders would be the catalyst to such social change. We certainly didn’t in Telecom. I was the data transmission forecaster for NSW from 1976 through to 1981 (modems), we never saw it coming but then neither did IBM, Honeywell or Digital.

We had commissioned a range of sociologists, psychologists and engineers to suggest likely scenarios for the future (“Telecom 2000”). The scenario we were agreed on involved a shorter working week and a broader democratisation and citizen involvement in decision making. The field tests we did showed that people hated video phones and didn’t much care for Video conferencing! As for personal computers, who would want access to a spreadsheet at home? We saw the security and surveillance state as dysfunctional and consequently unlikely. How wrong were we?

Laurie Savage
http://accelerus.pvgc.vic.edu.au