[Year 12 IT Apps] [Yr11 Information Technology] U301 Question

Mark mark at vceit.com
Sat Jan 18 16:11:52 EST 2014

Hi Margaret.

My 2.2 cents' worth...
No, the login need not have to work. Any functionality that is unreasonable
to expect of students in a time-restricted SAC on college computers can and
should be simulated.
The main thing is for students to convey to you is that that they know that
things are needed and important, even if they can't make them functional.

A trick for faking a login screen is to take a screenshot of the login
screen, put it onto a webpage, then add a hotspot (in Dreamweaver) over the
login button. When the user's mouse clicks on the mapped area of the
hotspot, it triggers an event, such as a link to the "post-logon" page.

Smarty-pants kids can even use a web form and maybe Javascript to make a
more realistic login box that actually lets users type into the
username/password boxes.

But even if the student just included a dumb (i.e. inactive) screenshot of
a login  screen and a text link to jump to the next page, it would indicate
the student recognised that a login facility was necessary.

Hope that helps.

Mark

On 18 January 2014 15:06, Graham, Margaret M <
graham.margaret.m at edumail.vic.gov.au> wrote:

>  Hi all
>
> I am hoping someone can help me. Am back teaching year 12 this year for
> the first time in 6 or more years.
>
> I have been working through what is required for U301 prototype website. I
> get that interactive sections do not have to be functional in terms of the
> wiki / blog /forum etc however just wanted to check if this is the same for
> the ‘member only’ login section. Do they just need to set up a form for the
> username and password access without it having to actually work?
>

> Also if anyone is willing to share what a ‘high quality’ report looks like
> it would be greatly appreciated. Just would like to see how much detail the
> kids are expected to go in to when discussing the hardware, software and
> technical needs.
>

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Cheers
>

> Margaret Graham

mark AT vceit DOT com
http://vceit.com

*Everything that used to be a sin is now a disease - Bill Maher *