[Year 12 IT Apps] MS Access - Calculated fields

Mark mark at vceit.com
Fri Feb 14 10:52:40 EST 2014

Hi Stuart.

- The only problem with "The VCAA website states that students should
"create, edit and use queries" is that - if strictly enforced - it would
outlaw the use of Filemaker, which does not have queries as such.
I think we need to be reasonably flexible in the interpretation of
commandments that assume a particular (usually Microsoft-centric) mindset.

- Regarding your second point about dependent fields, calculated fields are
a distinctly different beast to regular storage fields. They are unstored
and dynamically calculated, so they probably don't qualify as 'fields' as
such even if they appear as such to the user.

On 14 February 2014 08:33, Stuart Walkerden (STUW) <
stuw at huntingtower.vic.edu.au> wrote:

>  Good Morning everyone
>
> I have often told my students with respect to Microsoft "Just because you
> can doesn't mean you should". I reckon we should continue to use queries
> for calculated fields for the following reasons:
>
> ·         The VCAA website states that students should "create, edit and
> use queries". We can sort in tables and sort and group in reports, so
> although in Access we may not need queries, we must teach students to use
> them.
>
> ·         My understanding of normalisation is that we remove fields
> dependent on other fields (i.e. calculated fields). Question 9 on the 2012
> exam and the examiner's report, expects students to remove calculated
> fields as part of normalisation.
>
> Cheers
>

> Stuart Walkerden

mark AT vceit DOT com
http://vceit.com

*Everything that used to be a sin is now a disease - Bill Maher *