[Year 12 IT Apps] Too soon? The ITI SAT hypothesis: data sets

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 17:48:25 EST 2014

Thanks Mark - useful datasets.

While I'm not sure of the constraints on your SAT, what sort of data
exploration and visualisation tools are people using? Some of those sources
are close to "big data" - are tools like Tableau and Many Eyes in common
use?

Ken

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 3:03 PM, Mark <mark at vceit.com> wrote:

> Here are some dataset sources you might want to play with in preparation
> for the 2006 ITI SAT...
>

>    - data.gov.au – includes data from many locations, groups and topics,
>    including
>       - a National Public Toilet Map.
>       - overseas arrivals and departures
>       - taxation statistics
>       - Victorian ice skating centres
>       - the Victorian Fishing Atlas
>    - data.melbourne.vic.gov.au – the City of Melbourne shares its data,
>    e.g.
>       - parking bay sensor recordings
>       - tree canopy data
>       - pedestrian sensor counts
>    - Australian Bureau of Statistics – abs.gov.au – tailored for
>    students, with census data available in Excel format and tables.
>
> The ABS tells us that in 1901 Australia there were 2,192 indigenous men
> aged 85 and over. In 2001, there were 81,922. Such rich and reliable data
> could yield a *really* interesting hypothesis or two.
>
>    - Australian National Data Service (ands.org.au) - a set of web pages
>    describing data collections produced by or relevant to Australian
>    researchers.
>    - data.csiro.au – very detailed, very technical, very big science data
>    store.
>    - govpond.org – searches over 3,400 Australian governments’ data sets
>    for you
>    - Atlas of Living Australia – ala.org.au – sharing biodiversity
>    knowledge. Do you have a hypothesis about Brushtail possums, perhaps? This
>    is the place for you.
>
> Cheers.

> mark AT vceit DOT com
> http://vceit.com
>
> I, Mark Kelly, am entirely responsible for the rambling verbiage I spew
> forth.
> Have I offended anyone with this post?  I would not be surprised.
> If offended, please whinge to me at the email address above.
> Please leave poor Kevork alone.  It is not his fault.

> Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority <br>
> Teachers Association Inc <br>

Dr Ken Price MACS CP ACCE Professional Associate.
President, TASITE http://www.tasite.tas.edu.au