[Year 12 IT Apps] Unit 2 languages?

Andrew Pate arp at mentonegrammar.net
Thu Aug 14 10:34:26 EST 2014

Hi David,
Hope this helps.
Short answer – for Unit 2 – no. BUT might want to choose a language allowed in Unit 3-4 Software Development.

Andrew.

From VCAA Bulletin: VCAA BULLETIN VCE, VCAL and VET SUPPLEMENT 2 – NOVEMBER 2010 5
What programming languages can be used?
Programming languages are mandated in Unit 2 and in
Software development. In Unit 2, students are required to
use a programming or scripting language for Area of Study 2.
There is no approved programming languages list for this unit,
so any language can be used. Factors that might influence the
choice of language include the list of approved programming
languages for Software development, the selection of tools
used to create data visualisations for Area of Study 1 (a
programming language can be used), and the interests and
expertise of the students and teachers.
In Software development, students may use language only
from the approved list, which was published in the June 2010
VCAA Bulletin VCE, VCAL and VET No. 80, page 8. This list
is revised annually, with schools being given approximately
nine months notice of any changes.

Approved programming languages for the accredited study in 2011
Students will use one programming language from the accompanying list, to develop purpose-designed solutions. In the development of solutions, students should be able to:

  *   develop a graphical user interface (GUI), for use in mobile computing devices, such as laptops, personal digital assistants, gaming consoles, mobile phones
  *   construct and use data structures, for example multi-dimensional arrays, records, queues and stacks
  *   design, construct and use files (not databases) to store and retrieve data
  *   design and apply data validation techniques
  *   use program control structures: selection, iteration and sequencing.
The purpose-designed solutions will entail the use of objects, methods and their properties, and event-driven programming.
List of approved languages
Basic (object-oriented variations only, e.g. VB.NET)
C++
C#
Objective-C
Pascal (object-oriented variations only, e.g. Delphi)
Java
Perl
PHP
Python
Ruby
With all of the above languages, databases are not to be used to support the construction of solutions. Students should be able to demonstrate the highest level of achievement using only the selected programming language. Additional languages can be used to embellish a solution, for example JavaScript with web pages; however, these would be supplementary to the main language and not replace it.
Specific distributions, projects or variations of languages may be suitable as long as they are able to address the criteria listed above, including, but not limited to, an object-oriented programming capability with graphical user interface features and file handling. Since it is impractical to itemise each of these language variations, the VCAA recommends teachers firstly consider a language from the approved list.
Teachers of VCE Software Development should note that the list of approved programming languages is revised each year and is published annually in the VCAA Bulletin VCE, VCAL and VET.